From ImageStream Router Documentation
- Simple Network Management Protocol, or SNMP, primarily finds use in reporting and monitoring applications. It can be used in conjuction with a variety of packages such as MRTG, Cacti, OpenNMS, or Nagios to provide round the clock system monitoring and historical graphs regarding the status of the system. The SNMP implementation used by ImageStream (net-snmp) allows for extensions via both custom commands and SMUX.
- Example 1:SMUX with Quagga - Configure Quagga to report peer information to the SNMP daemon.
- Example 2:Graphing with MRTG - Configure MRTG to graph various pieces of information from your router.
- Example 3:Extending SNMP - Insert arbitrary data into the OID.
- Example 4:Monitoring with Nagios - Configure Nagios to monitor your router and alert you to problems.
Documentation and Futher reading
- Net-SNMP MRTG tutorial - MRTG tutorial page on the SNMP implementation used in ImageStream routers.
- MRTG documentation - Tobi Oetiker's documentation page on MRTG.
- Nagios documentation - Official documentation page for MRTG.